The first day of school in fall 2017 was a memorable one for the Communities of Heritage Valley. It marked the opening of the new Desrochers K-9 school!
- St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary/Junior High School is located at 420 Desrochers Boulevard, Edmonton, AB
- If you live in Desrochers, you’re in the attendance area, and
- The school houses a YMCA Before & After School Care Program.
Visit the YMCA website to learn more.
- The Learning Commons (aka…library) features 2-storey tall windows and a bright second floor common area
- You’ll find not 1, but 2 gyms! Both include 2-storey tall windows and have an inner hallway/spectator area.
- Furniture for kids who like to move (think standing desks and rocker chairs). Research shows that by improving comfort, you improve learning!
- An Industrial Arts Shop, Woodworking Lab, Food Lab, and a Mobile Computer Lab (i.e. something for everyone!)
- Cool tech features, such as USB locker ports, and
- Fully private washroom stalls.
Connecting to Nature
With the Desrochers Forest located just behind the school, teachers can include hands-on learning activities in science units.
In addition to this, students can learn all about growing their own food on the school’s second floor patio. Gardening will take place using special planter boxes!
Having these links to nature is great for the students, since it’s been shown to reduce stress and increase attention spans. Time to activate all of those senses!
Pre-Kindergarten and ESL Programming
St. Thomas Aquinas offers the 100 Voices program for 3-4 year olds with mild to severe delays. Children may qualify and be funded for this program based on:
- Speech and language (including English as a second language)
- Fine and gross motor skills, and
- General ability.
Parents who are interested should watch for January registration dates, as spaces are limited.
St. Thomas Aquinas has been built with a growing community in mind; it can accommodate up to 1,000 students. Wow!
Heritage Valley communities that may attend this school include:
- Chappelle area
- Hays Ridge area
- Graydon Hill
- Heritage Valley area, and
A Big Thank-You
Many thanks to St. Thomas Aquinas Principal, Danita Power, for taking the time to walk us through this wonderful new school!
“We are all very excited and happy to be here building community and developing our own sense of who we are at St. Thomas Aquinas.”
— Principal Danita Power
Parents of non-Catholic school-aged children should visit the Edmonton Catholic School Board website. Here you will find details on policies for non-Catholic residents and additional registration information.